9.22.2009

Save the Honeybees!

A fellow blogger recently posted about her weekend visiting some cider mills in her state. It sounded like such a good time, and got me thinking about what kind of fun Fall activities Aaron and I could do locally on the cheap.

And I remembered - there's a honey farm and honey tasting room out in Fillmore. Every time we pass it one of us says to the other, "We should go there sometime." So I googled it: www.bennetthoney.com.

Not only does this family-run business make award-winning varieties of honey, but they're also doing what they can to address Colony Collapse Disorder among the honeybee population. I've heard that honeybees have been mysteriously disappearing for the past few years but I didn't know much more than that. The Bennett's site has a short article briefly describing the various theories behind the honebees' disappearance, then it explains the most accepted theory and what the Bennetts are doing to eliminate the cause. It's pretty interesting!

I am terrified of bees (we have a bad history!), but I do know that they're an extremely important and irreplacable factor in creating much of our food supply, and I think it's important that everyone is at least a little educated on this issue.

***Steps off soapbox***

So anyway, I think we might be taking a trip out to Bennett's Honey Farm in the near future, if anyone feels like coming along!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that sounds like quite the fun adventure !

The Evil Banana said...

no honey for me...too many carbs.